Achieving effects, logos, imagery and identification marks on organic surfaces through traditional methods is time consuming and taxing, this is why laser engraving wood has become a popular method. Used for anything from decorative items, to toys, souvenirs, gifts, art, architectural items, veneers and more, CO2 laser marking machines have truly come into their own due to their speed, reliability and accuracy. Some wood varieties that are etched and engraved with our lasers include:
- Alder Wood
- and much more…
Engraving wood with a laser typically requires a CO2 based system due to their wavelength and power configuration. You will find that our MacsaLaser range of CO2 systems are highly suitable for use as wood engraving lasers and we have had a good selection of clients creating some great results. Being an organic material with different inherent characteristics (density, resin, etc.) different types of wood will require different power intensities and can be engraved at higher or lower speeds.
Does the wood burn in the engraving process?
During the engraving of the wood, the laser will generate a temperature increase higher than that of the sublimation temperature of the material. Meaning the sublimated wood is visible in the form of smoke escaping, which in turn transports the heat away. As a result there is minimal thermal stress on the wood near the engraved area, or in other words, no wood should be visibly burned or damaged around your engraving.
Can you mark wood veneer with a laser machine?
Yes, you can create shallow markings on the surface of the veneer using a CO2 laser machine. However, depending on the type of veneer used, you may have to adjust the machine’s settings, such as power and speed, to achieve optimal engraving results. In addition, a protective backing is typically used to provide added protection to the material during the engraving process.
If you want to engrave the veneer with deeper markings, you must bear in mind that higher power and slower speed settings will be required, resulting in more oils being release from the wood.
Laser Engraving Systems that are for Wood
Our great range of laser engravers deliver excellent results on a wide selection of timber and wood:
- The lifespan of our systems extend beyond most like-for-like lasers on the market. Possessing high peak power’s, extremely quick processing times and serious flexibility.
- Mark Text, Graphics, Barcodes, 2D, UID, Matrix, QR codes and more onto any suitable materials with industry-leading accuracy.
- Easy setup for programming and marking, with great software and ergonomic design.
- Choose from stand-alone, desktop, portable & integrated lasers systems, alternatively, we can tailor solutions for you, provide training and help you incorporate them.
- Brimming with cutting-edge features for the best possible experience, whilst maintaining unparalleled speed & quality engravings.
To complement all the above, our lasers come with a comprehensive, 3-year, parts & labour warranty. We also offer lease or rental options…